Baker DE-190 - History

Baker DE-190 - History


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Baker

(DE-190: dp. 1240,1. 308'; b. 36'8", dr. 11'8" s. 21 k.:
colt 18G; a. 3 3", 3 21" TT., cl. Cannon)

Baker (DE-190) was launched 28 November 1943 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newark, N. J.' sponsored by Mrs. Margaret Baker, mother of' Ensign Baker; and Commissioned 23 December 1943, Lieutenant Commander L. B. Lockwood, USNR, in command.

Reporting to the Atlantic Fleet, Baker was assigned to
Escort Division 48 and escorted two trans-Atlantic convoys
to North Africa (13 February-24 March and 12 April~0
May 1944)

Between 20 June 1944 and 9 May 1945 she served with several hunter-killer task groups. On 5 July 1944 while operating with T6 22.10 in 42°1B' N., 59°49' W., she delivered several depth charge attacks which forced the German submarine ll-238 to surface. All Baker's guns opened fire scoring several hits, and then she laid a 13 charge shallow pattern ahead of the submarine~ who rode squarely into the middle of the detonation. The sub's crew abandoned her Just before Thomas ( D~102) rammed and sank her. Thirty-one survivors of the sub's crew were picked up and transferred to Card (CVE~11),

From May until October 1945 Baker operated out of Quonset Point, B. I., as a plane guard during carrier qualifications, During November and part of December she escorted the captured German submarine U-877 to various eastern ports as a Part of a Victory Loan drive. Baker went out of commission in reserve 4 March 1848 and was transferred to France under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program 29 March 1952.

Baker received one battle star for her action with U-838.


U.S.S. CARD

Originally commissioned on Nov. 8, 1942, USS Card was named for the sound by the same name located south of Miami, Florida. Her first run was to ferry aircraft and troops to North Africa in May and early June 1943. In July, she was made a flagship in one of the anti-submarine groups of the North Atlantic. The idea was to take an offensive stance against the German U-boats. And she was successful. In a period of three months, Card and her group accounted for eight confirmed U-boat kills (July to October). In December she went back on the hunt but one of her escorts was sunk by an enemy sub.

After doing transport duty between Norfolk and Casablanca in spring 1944, she returned to submarine hunt in June-July 1944. That cruise landed her another German submarine, U-233. She undertook anti-submarine patrols in the Caribbean but had no hits. She entered the Philadelphia Naval Yard for upgrades in February 1945.

She then began transporting aircraft and personnel to England. She was also used for carrier qualifications. She transferred to the Pacific Fleet in summer, 1945. After the war, she was used to bring men and equipment home. She was decommissioned May 13, 1946.


Baker Hughes - History

Baker Hughes is the combination of many companies that have developed and introduced technology to serve the petroleum service industry. Their combined history dates back to the early 1900s. During its history, Baker Hughes has acquired and assimilated numerous oilfield pioneers including: Brown Oil Tools, CTC, EDECO, and Elder Oil Tools (completions) Milchem and Newpark (drilling fluids) EXLOG (mud logging) Eastman Christensen and Drilex (directional drilling and diamond drill bits) Teleco (measurement while drilling) Tri-State and Wilson (fishing tools and services) Aquaness, Chemlink and Petrolite (specialty chemicals), Western Atlas (seismic exploration, well logging), BJ Services Company (pressure pumping).

The Hughes Tool Company was founded by Walter Benona Sharp and Howard R. Hughes, Sr., father of Howard Hughes, Jr. In 1908, Howard Hughes, Sr. and his partner Walter Sharp, developed the first two-cone drill bit, designed to enable rotary drilling in harder, deeper formations than was possible with earlier fishtail bits. They conducted two secret tests on a drilling rig in Goose Creek, Texas. Each time, Hughes asked the drilling crew to leave the rig floor, pulled the bit from a locked wooden box, and then his associates ran the bit into the hole. The drill pipe twisted off on the first test, but the second was extremely successful. In 1909, the Sharp & Hughes bit was granted a U.S. patent. In the same year, the partners formed the Sharp-Hughes Tool Company in Houston, Texas to manufacture the bit in a rented space measuring 20 by 40 ft (12 m).

After Walter Sharp died in 1912, Mr. Hughes purchased Sharp's half of the business. The company was renamed Hughes Tool Company in 1915. Through the 1950s and 1960s, Hughes Tool Company remained a private enterprise, owned by Howard Hughes, Jr. While Mr. Hughes was engaged in his Hollywood and aviation enterprises, managers in Houston, such as Fred Ayers and Maynard Montrose, kept the tool company growing through technical innovation and international expansion. In 1958, the Engineering and Research Laboratory was enlarged to accommodate six laboratory sections that housed specialized instruments, such as a direct reading spectrometer and x-ray diffractometer. In 1959, Hughes introduced self-lubricating, sealed bearing rock bits. After collecting data from thousands of bit runs, Hughes introduced the first comprehensive guides to efficient drilling practices in 1960 1964 saw the introduction of the X-Line rock bits, combining new cutting structure designs and hydraulic jets.

Baker International was formed by Reuben C. Baker, who developed a Casing shoe, that revolutionized cable tool drilling. In July 1907, R.C. Baker, a 34 year-old inventor and entrepreneur in Coalinga, California, was granted a U.S. patent for a casing shoe that enabled drillers to efficiently run casing and cement it in oil wells. This innovation launched the business that would become Baker Oil Tools and Baker Hughes Incorporated. Mr. Baker had arrived in the California oilfield in 1895 with 95 cents in his pocket and dreams of making his fortune in the Los Angeles oil boom. Subsequently, he hauled oil for drillers with a team of horses and became a drilling contractor and an oil wildcatter before achieving success as an innovator in oilfield equipment. In 1928, Baker Casing Shoe Company changed its name to Baker Oil Tools, Inc., to reflect its product line of completion, cementing and fishing equipment.

In early 1956, during one of the most successful periods in the company's history, Reuben C. Baker retired as President of Baker Oil Tools. A few weeks later, he died after a brief illness at the age of 85 and was succeeded by his long-time associate Ted Sutter. Although he only had three years of formal education, Mr. Baker had been granted 150 patents. In 1965, Mr. Sutter was succeeded by E.H. "Hubie" Clark, who would become the first Baker Hughes chairman of the board in 1987 during its 80-year history before the Baker Hughes merger, Baker had only three chief executives.

Read more about this topic: Baker Hughes

Famous quotes containing the word history :

&ldquo I cannot be much pleased without an appearance of truth at least of possibility—I wish the history to be natural though the sentiments are refined and the characters to be probable, though their behaviour is excelling. &rdquo
&mdashFrances Burney (1752�)

&ldquo We may pretend that we’re basically moral people who make mistakes, but the whole of history proves otherwise. &rdquo
&mdashTerry Hands (b. 1941)

&ldquo The history of mankind interests us only as it exhibits a steady gain of truth and right, in the incessant conflict which it records between the material and the moral nature. &rdquo
&mdashRalph Waldo Emerson (1803�)


The Ghosts of the Baker Hotel by Bob Hopkins

Becoming one of the state's most lavish resorts, the Baker built a magnificent reputation that attracted people from all walks of life for one reason or another. One may find the history of the grand old hotel very interesting. That history could well be a key to some of its permanent guests.

In 1914 the Crazy Water Hotel was erected and became the center of activities. But a devastating fire in March 1925, destroyed most of the building. It was then that a man by the name of T. B. Baker, a wealthy hotel businessman, decided to build a grand hotel in Mineral Wells based on the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Baker owned several hotels throughout Texas at that time, including the St. Anthony, the Gunther, and Menger in San Antonio, the Stephen F. Austin in Austin, the Texas Hotel in Ft. Worth, the Baker in Dallas, the Goodhue in Port Arthur, the Galvez in Galveston, the Edson in Beaumont, and the Sterling in Houston.

According to an article in "Palo Pinto County History Vol. 1", a waiter recalled a $2.00 tip given to him by outlaws Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, although he didn't recognize them at the time.

Many "Big Bands" blasted out their tunes from the "Sky Room" at the top of the building or in the first floor "Brazos Room." Lawrence Welk remembered his "starting out days" at the Baker when he still had difficulty with English. Other entertainers of the time that visited the Baker included Guy Lombardo, Paul Whiteman, Dorothy Lamour, and later, Pat Boone.

World War II ushered in a new era for the hotel with the growth of nearby Fort Wolters. The base eventually became the largest infantry replacement base in the country, with 30,000 soldiers passing through it's gates in 1942 alone. The Baker was then at its peak, catering to both civilians and military personnel.

Life in America, however, began to change by the 1950's. The FDA crackdown on inflated advertising on cure-all tonics and mineral waters changed the way we viewed medicine. New antibiotic drugs and preventive medicine soon became the healthcare mainstream as the need for mineral waters began to fade. The interstate highway system in the late 1960's re-routed the main flow of traffic out of Mineral Wells and I - 20, 14 miles south, cut off a major financial artery to the town.

In 1952, Mr. T. B. Baker, retired. Since he had no children, he left his hotel empire to his nephew, Earl Baker who was already a successful part of the business. Earl Baker lived in San Antonio and said he would continue to operate the Baker in Mineral Wells until his 70th birthday. True to his word, on April 30th, 1963, the Baker closed its doors. But not for long. A group of civic leaders managed to re-open the hotel in 1965, but with very little profit, the hotel closed for good in 1970.

In a strange twist of fate, Earl Baker was visiting the hotel for one last time on December 3, 1967 when he suddenly died of a massive heart attack. It was as if the hotel dealt him a vengeful blow for the years of declining glory and subjugated neglect.

In 1973, the Army closed Fort Wolters - yet another major blow to the Mineral Wells economy. By the late 1970's the city had lost one third of its population. The oil and gas industry moved in and sparked some hope, but by 1985 it too went bust -leaving the town once again desperate for an economic future.

Although the city of Mineral Wells has recovered to a small degree, it's once beautiful hillsides are slowly being depleted by brick plants and the factory-dependent town survives on an economic base, far below yesteryear's glory days and the fame of its healing waters.


H.J. Baker History

H.J. Baker's unique history over the past 170 plus years has led it to become the company it is today. Building upon its vast knowledge and service base has created a socially-responsible entity that is recognized as a world-leader in the agriculture sulphur and animal nutrition industries.

    WILLIAM BAKER buys the "Baltimore Window-Glass Works" 1843

the oldest glass works in the United States with an outstanding reputation for superior quality.

becomes connected with these works and in 1850 is enlisted by their father to obtain sources for glass produced in Europe. Henry J. Baker obtains sourcing for the glass trade but cannot return to import glass via the port of Baltimore in competition with his family's firm.

Paint, color, and chemical products are added as product lines along with the French window glass product line and the company’s business grew rapidly. In August 1857, a product line that would change the future of H.J. Baker is added castor oil. H.J. Baker produced the castor oil which becomes common in household medicine chests across America. This, in turn, led to the first fertilizer product offered by H.J. Baker -- pomace, a by-product of castor oil production.

As the Civil War draws to a close, H.J. Baker prepares to meet peacetime demands. H.J. Baker begins producing America’s early fertilizers. These early fertilizers are primarily low analysis organics, including specific analyses for potatoes, onions, corn and other crops.

The company begins a drive to develop innovative chemical processes. The ultimate result is involvement in many new areas. The development of the citric acid extraction process pioneered by Charles Pfizer sees H.J. Baker playing a key role. The company is also involved in the sulphur extraction process developed by Dr. Herman Frasch. H.J. Baker is destined to become the first international agent for Texas Gulf Sulphur.

In the 1960s, an important research project comes to fruition. The company announces the development of a significant new product. PRO-PAK® protein concentrate, the fishmeal analog that offers poultry growers the advantage of a highly-consistent protein additive, quickly becomes a marketing success.


Masoneilan,

For well over a century Masoneilan has been synonymous with innovation, leading technology and responsiveness to market needs.

With its breadth of products and services, unequaled global presence and advanced process control expertise, Masoneilan is uniquely positioned to be the leading provider of control valve solutions. In solving today’s challenges and looking forward to those of tomorrow, Masoneilan draws upon the dedication and entrepreneurial spirit of its people, leveraging its past to remain the supplier of choice for engineered control valve solutions.

Innovation is part of the foundation for the Masoneilan portfolio. Our team utilizes multiple avenues on what new features should be explored for Masoneilan products. Feedback from users on existing products and what would be nice to have as we look ahead are always welcome. Check out our “What’s New” on the right to stay up-to date on our Masoneilan product and offerings.

Ways to improve our customers process is always on the forefront. Process improvements resulting in efficiency can be achieved in many ways. We have captured recent success stories to the right that could be valuable to you.


History

The beginnings of Baker College trace back to the turn of the 20th century, with the founding of Muskegon College by Woodbridge Ferris&mdashwho later became Governor of Michigan and then a U.S. Senator.

Just two decades later, Eldon E. Baker&mdashan educator who built a highly successful business college in Winfield, Kansas&mdashmoved to Flint and founded Baker Business University, which stood at the corner of Court Street and South Saginaw.

In 1965, these two institutions came together under a single academic group headed by Robert Jewell of Muskegon. Throughout the years that followed, the schools continued to thrive and the group began to expand its outreach through the acquisition of other schools and locations.

Today, Baker College serves thousands of students across the state of Michigan, as well as across the US through our global campus. Baker College offers diverse academic depth and breadth in undergraduate and graduate programs across 8 academic colleges, ranging from health sciences and engineering to business and technology. Baker College strives to cultivate and encourage positive action, critical thought, and the knowledge students need to improve their lives, careers, and the world around them.


Contents

U-233 was assigned to the 4th U-boat Flotilla for training on 22 September 1943 and to the 12th U-boat Flotilla on 1 June 1944 for active service. Her first and only patrol commenced on 27 May 1944 when she departed Kiel to lay mines off Halifax.

On 5 July 1944 U-233 was intercepted by ships of the USS Card (CVE-11) hunter-killer group. She was identified by sonar, depth-charged to the surface and fired on by USS Baker (DE-190) , before being rammed and sunk by USS Thomas (DE-102) . 32 of her crew were killed in the action, 29 others being rescued by the escorts. Steen was also picked up, but died of wounds the next day. [4] [5] [6] US Navy report on U-233 survivors 1944 [7]


St. John's Evangelical Church W 3rd & Acoma

In 1879, St. John’s Lutheran Church began when Reverend J. Hilgendorf assembled a German Lutheran group that congregated on 1846 Arapahoe Street. The church relocated to a smaller $3,000 home on Cherokee and West Fifth Avenue in 1886. Increasing numbers of churchgoers forced St. John’s to find a larger facility. Construction began on a new building on Third Avenue and Acoma in 1911. The building pictured above was designed by architect William Cove and had a steeple reaching nearly 100 feet tall. The temple was a $25,000 project that produced a cross at its peak, a beautiful birch interior, and engraved cornerstones. St. John’s number of worshippers was growing, and an academy opened in the Washington Park area in 1959. The church moved once more next to their school in Washington Park in 1968. After renting the West 3rd and Acoma building to other fellowships, its ownership was turned over to St. Augustine’s Catholic Church in the 1980s.


Baker City, Oregon

Baker City, Oregon

Baker City Details

Elevation: 3,471 Feet ( 1,058 meters)

Current Population: 9,880

Primary Mineral: Gold

Baker City History

Prospectors discovered gold in eastern Oregon in 1861 and quickly sparked a rush of miners that led to the creation of Baker City. Soon a saloon, hotel, and blacksmith shop opened, followed by a quartz mill in 1864. The next year the town was laid out and in 1868 it succeeded Auburn as the county seat of Baker County. Baker City officially incorporated as a city in 1874.

The Oregon Short Line Railroad came to Baker City in 1884 and encouraged continued growth. By the 1890s the city gained a reputation as the "Denver of Oregon." During this period, Baker City was one of the more colorful towns in the Pacific Northwest as miners, ranchers, cowboys, and sheepherders mingled with gamblers and dance hall girls.

By 1900 Baker City had become the trading center for a vast region and was the largest city between Salt Lake City and Portland.


View of Main Street - Baker City, Oregon ca. 1910. Baker County Library photo

Construction of the narrow gauge Sumpter Valley Railroad in 1896 and the Transatlantic Railway in 1897 helped the mining and timber industries flourish for decades. Access to seemingly endless supplies of timber in the nearby mountains kept area sawmills humming and provided employment for hundreds. The downturn in the mining and timber industries caused a downturn in the area's economy in recent decades.

Baker, Oregon as Described in the Year 1900

The following text was published during the year 1900 in a promotional flyer by the Oregon Railroad & Navigation Company of Portland, Oregon

Almost exactly in the geographical center of this grand mineral empire has arisen, as its natural capital and metropolis, the handsome little city that bears the name of Oregon's soldier-statesman, General E. D. Baker, the hero and victim of Ball's Bluff. It is situated, at an altitude of 3,440 feet above the level of the sea, on the line of the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company, 345 miles southeast of Portland and is the county-seat of Baker county, which, with an area of 2,322 square miles, is larger than the state of Delaware, and nearly twice as large as Rhode Island.


McCord Brothers Hardware - Baker City Oregon 1895. Baker County Library photo

Like all the other counties in the Oregon Gold Belt, Baker county is diversified with mountains, valleys and streams. The mountains are all mineralized, the valleys are all fertile, and the streams are all bottomed with placer beds.

There is hardly an acre of the whole domain that is not rich in mineral, timber, pasturage or agricultural capabilities. Wheat yields from 40 to 60 bushels to the acre. Sheriff W. H. Kilbourne has averaged 51 bushels. Assessor J. A, Payton made out a list of 42 farmers two or three years ago, whose crops of oats and barley averaged 65 bushels to the acre and Anson Loenig, on Willow creek, raised 110 bushels of barley to the acre. The valleys in every direction yield abundant crops of all the leading grains, grasses and vegetables, and fine fruit is grown in the lower altitudes.

The climate is unsurpassable in all the qualities conducive to health and vigor. There are no extremes of heat or cold. The winters are so mild that cattle run on the ranges all the year without feeding or care, and prospecting can be carried on at all seasons. Thousands of cattle, sheep and horses are raised without expense.


Wool wagon parked in front of the Packwood Hotel - Baker City, Oregon 1903. Baker County Library photo

Everywhere north and west of Baker City are magnificent forests of timber for all building and mining purposes, and from 25,000 to 50,000 feet to the acre is an ordinary yield. The whole region is watered by clear, pure mountain streams, Powder river running through the very heart of Baker City.

The Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company gives the young city every facility of transportation and communication with the outside world, and the Sumpter Valley narrow-gauge railway connects it with the great mines, forests, farms and ranges lying west and southwest of it.

Well-constructed wagon-roads, either directly or by connection with the railroads, bring it the trade of a large part of Baker, Union and Grant counties, and the northern end of Harney and Malheur counties, besides much from the Idaho side of Snake river. It is the natural depot and distribution-point for the mines and mining camps of the entire region, including something like a half-hundred districts.

With such a position and such surroundings, Baker City could not have failed to thrive as few western towns have done in recent years. It has more than tripled its population since the census of 1890. rising from 2,600 then to 8,000 now - a rate of growth, which, if continued, will give it from 25,000 to 30,000 people under the next decennial enumeration.

The annual gold yield of its immediately tributary region has increased, in that time, from about $500,000 to $3,500,000 - a ratio that will speedily bring it up to $20,000,000 a year.


Mendelson's Pelts, Furs, & Hides Depot - Baker City, Oregon ca. 1905. Baker County Library photo

Since the last edition of the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company's Gold-Field booklet was issued, between 40 and 50 handsome business buildings of brick and stone have gone up in Baker City, including the Geiser, Haskell, Pollman, Rust, Ison, Alfred and Waterman blocks, costing from $10,000 to $30,000 each. A 70-room hotel and several smaller ones have been added to the 15 that already offered hospitality to the incoming army of fortune-seekers.

The Sisters of Saint Francis have built a $40,000 addition to their academy, and a $25,000 extension of Saint Elizabeth hospital is planned. An extensive cold-storage plant has been put in scores of new mercantile and industrial establishments have gone into operation, including a smelter, two planing-mills, a steam laundry employing 32 persons, two cigar factories, two wholesale groceries, and two wholesale liquor and tobacco houses and over 400 residences have been erected to accommodate the growing population.

Albert Geiser, of Bonanza fame, has just paid $40,000 cash for the Warshauer House, and proposes to spend $15,000 or $20,000 more in making a first-class hotel of it. The Masons have recently finished a $20,000 temple of Faith, Hope and Charity, and an opera-house, with all the modern metropolitan improvements, will soon be completed, and playing the same attractions that appear in Portland. A $100,000 waterworks system is being installed, and everything is moving with a rush.


Geiser Grand Hotel - Baker City, Oregon. Baker County Library photo

The manufactories include six saw and planing-mills, with a daily capacity of about 175,000 feet of lumber, or something like 55,000,000 feet a year-the Oregon Lumber Company alone employing between 300 and 400 hands, and having a capacity of about 30,000,000 feet. There are two mills near Haines station on the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company's line, 10 miles northwest of the city, with a combined capacity of from 20,000 to 25,000 feet a day.

The Powder River Land and Irrigation Company is rapidly pushing to completion the most extensive work of its kind in the state. Its canals and ditches parallel the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company's tracks for 20 miles. Its main reservoir, a half-mile east of the city, at an elevation of 60 feet, is a mile long by a half mile wide, with a depth of 70 feet, and holds 400,000,000 cubic feet of water. It will bring from 60,000 to 100,000 acres of rich lands into cultivation, and will add at least $2,500,000 to the annual production of the region and the business of the city.

The neighboring mines give employment to from 1,600 to 2,000 men, whose pay-roll amounts to something like $1,500,000 a year, most of which is spent, directly or indirectly, in and about Baker City. During 1893, The First National Bank of Baker City shipped, in gold dust and bullion, $264,165 in 1894, it shipped $274.505 in 1895, $360,268 in 1896, $529,266 in 1897 $750,000 and last year, with all the new banks, express companies and shipping facilities, its shipments neared the $1,000,000 mark.

Could the rapid rise of gold production be more concisely shown? This includes no shipments of ore or concentrates, and no drafts, checks, or money-orders for sales made by miners. It is simply the gold-dust and bullion record of one bank.


First National Bank - Baker City, Oregon ca. 1890s. Baker County Library photo

Baker City is equipped in metropolitan fashion with waterworks, gas and electric-light plants, a street-railway, and two live daily news papers and a half-dozen weeklies. The Morning Democrat, which has Mergenthaler typesetting machines and takes the full Associated Press dispatches, and The Evening Republican, may occasionally pull hair over political questions, but they are always found pulling together for the good of their city, county and region.

The streets are broad and well kept, the churches and schools are numerous and handsome, and many of the public and private buildings would be creditable to a city of 50,000 people. The Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company has a large and conveniently arranged depot, a fine stone-and-iron warehouse, and extensive stockyards, and the Sumpter Valley Railway has ample buildings and terminal facilities.

A number of new railroad branches and extensions are being planned, including one to the great Seven Devils Copper region of Idaho, and movements are on foot to establish smelting and reduction works on an extensive scale.

Baker City is one of the busiest and most prosperous places in the West, and its future is loaded to the muzzle with golden promise.


Watch the video: Dead By Daylight Bill Left 4 Dead Trailer